Ask the Author

Forum Index - Back to The Quest for the Legends

Pages: First page ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Last page

sreservoir

Post #501
your fact is wrong.

Butterfree

Post #502
How did you select the names for your charecters? Random ones you liked?
The general rule is "the first name that flies into my head", which is sometimes vaguely relevant and sometimes not.

Random: I like Christopher Paolini as an Author because he wrote Eragon when he was 11-13, and it is an incredible book, especially to be finished when he was 13.
…um, no. He started it when he was fifteen and it was published when he was nineteen. Seriously, what the hell? Eragon fans often love to report it as if it was written in its entirety when he was fifteen or published then, but this is the first time I've seen anyone claim he was even younger than that. o_O What's with people aging him down?

Not going to touch the "incredible book" bit. Just know that your mileage may vary widely on that.

COMMENTARY DONE

Steele

Post #503
I'VE BEEN TO DAMN ERAGON FAN SITES! Wrong info? I'll go grab my copy. *Picks up off shelf* Damn. Curse whoever wrote that article. ;_; (It wasn't on alegaesia so…)

EDIT: http://www.alagaesia.com/christopherpaolini.htm

Proved. Finished at sixteen, proof reading and all took two years. Published when he was eighteen. Still, pretty damn young to be writing a world-wide bestseller.

"Do you think I enjoy telling you who you can screw and who you can't?" -Shadowdart

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today, cause' it's already tomorrow in Australia!

sreservoir

Post #504
er, not really. finished at sixteen, yes. what people never really bother to remember is that it was published then, and then republished after more editing.

pretty damn young, sure. I'll just go ramble about mozart.

Butterfree

Post #505
…according to that biography, it was self-published when he was eighteen (November 2001, with him born in '83) and republished when he was nearly twenty (August 2003).

COMMENTARY DONE

Steele

Post #506
….. I never said self-published didn't count. Do you read his series then? You seem to know a bit.

"Do you think I enjoy telling you who you can screw and who you can't?" -Shadowdart

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today, cause' it's already tomorrow in Australia!

Butterfree

Post #507
I was responding to sreservoir, who was saying it was self-published when he was sixteen, not you.

I read half of Eragon, lost the book somewhere (probably in Denmark) and never bothered to get it again since I found it rather generic anyway. I've since seen the movie, made fun of the ancient language (which sounds like badly mispronounced fangirl Icelandic and is really rather hilarious) and read several Internet essays about how bad it is. I only have a very rough idea of what happens in the next books and probably not a very accurate one since it all comes from snarky synopses and comparisons to Star Wars, so.

COMMENTARY DONE

Mastavida

Post #508
(I love the way you mentioned Denmark :D)

What is your favorite book/s? I just finished reading the Da Vinci Code and thought that was pretty great.

Butterfree

Post #509
Very probably The Neverending Story and Momo by Michael Ende, fiction-wise, and The Ancestor's Tale by Richard Dawkins, non-fiction-wise.

COMMENTARY DONE

opaltiger

Post #510
Sorry, gotta hijack this thread for a sec:

Random: I like Christopher Paolini as an Author because he wrote Eragon when he was 11-13, and it is an incredible book, especially to be finished when he was 13.

Eragon et al. is a mess of poorly-written derivative prose set in a world that probably took all of half an hour to create and populated with characters who have a hard time making it to the second, never mind the third, dimension.

Also: His fans compare him to Tolkien because he 'invented' a language. Tolkien was a professional linguist who actually invented two or three separate languages. Paolini took words that sounded cool and mangled them horribly.

ok I am done

ps a bad book written by an eleven year old is no better than a bad book written by a thirty year old.

Scyther

Post #511
OH MY GAWD, BUTTERFREE!

So in my prephysics class, we were making boats out of alluminum foil. I painted the name MAY VICTORIA WALLACE on the side, and guess what? May Victoria Wallace won the award for holding the most cargo. Ever.

(OK, granted, it's not really a question, but I thought it belonged here.)

Butterfree

Post #512
Ha. I chuckled. x3

COMMENTARY DONE

Kitsune

Post #513
So what are the worst books you've ever read?

…in my pants.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left!

Say "thug aim" out loud. Prepare to be annoyed.

Butterfree

Post #514
Normally when I start reading books and find myself really not liking them, I just don't continue (the exception to this would be a particular fanfic I've for some reason taken the strangest morbid interest in, but that's another story), so I haven't actually read a lot of particularly bad books. :/ The only candidates I can think of are Icelandic anyway (forced reading for Icelandic class at some point), so you wouldn't know them.

COMMENTARY DONE

Kitsune

Post #515
How do you know I don't read books in a language I only know two words in? D;

…in my pants.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left!

Say "thug aim" out loud. Prepare to be annoyed.

Steele

Post #516
THANKS A LOT OPAL. INSULTING! ;_;

Scyther

Post #517
Why is it you hate the idea of villians and evil laughter? I actually find it rather intriguing; I mean really, have you ever thought what it meant for a villian to laugh?

Steele

Post #518
^ It means it's time to murder someone! <.<

Butterfree

Post #519
I don't hate the idea; it's just extremely cheesy most of the time it's used. I'm all for villains laughing when it works as a reaction the character would have to what's happening, as opposed to just as a way of showing them delighting in their own evilness; see my lengthy justification of Mewtwo's chuckling in my first movie review, for instance.

COMMENTARY DONE

Scyther

Post #520
Does Ouen have any official starter Pokemon.

Pages: First page ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... Last page

Forum Index - Back to The Quest for the Legends