Worldbuilding

Forum Index - Back to The Quest Blog

Pages: 1

Butterfree

Post #1
I went and put up the Power article under the new Worldbuilding Articles section. I ended up not capitalizing it, because it just bugged me, and reworded some other stuff. Again, if you have suggestions for stuff that ought to be touched on, speak up.

COMMENTARY DONE

zeKieranator

Post #2
First!

I actually sort of liked the capialization of it, though I'm not sure why. Probably it makes it sound more mysterious, because without the capital 'P', it seems a bit boring.

There are 10 types of people in this world - people who know binary and people who don't.
There are 3 types of people in this world - people who can't count and people who can.

Pure Umbreon

Post #3
Quite interesting. I already thought that the destroyer concept already made sense, but it was nice to get a behind the scenes on how this works… especially the equation for power drain =D

Edit: I am sure this has been touched on… but a good article would be the inner workings of Aquarium City. The whole thing could probably use a bit more than a paragraph explanation in chapter 17. How the heck was the thing built?

Click if you have the time.

Scytherian Poetry

Post #4
Yeah, the Destroyer makes a bit more sense now. But I'm standing by my posts in 'ask the characters' because if the Destroyer drains Power, and Power is used for moves like Ember or Razor Leaf (moves that utilize sp attack), legendaries with higher attack or defense would win. "Everyone can Tackle", to quote Morphic. What I mean is, physical attacks would stay at full strength, because they consume no Power, and the Destroyer drains only Power. So, if I was, say, Groudon, and I was facing up against Mew, against whom I have no type advantage, I wouldn't start blasting fire at Mew, I'd crush her. My attack would be valuable to me in the War of the Legends than my Power.
/end rant

"Life is too important to be taken seriously"

Butterfree

Post #5
Yeah, the Destroyer makes a bit more sense now. But I'm standing by my posts in 'ask the characters' because if the Destroyer drains Power, and Power is used for moves like Ember or Razor Leaf (moves that utilize sp attack), legendaries with higher attack or defense would win. "Everyone can Tackle", to quote Morphic. What I mean is, physical attacks would stay at full strength, because they consume no Power, and the Destroyer drains only Power. So, if I was, say, Groudon, and I was facing up against Mew, against whom I have no type advantage, I wouldn't start blasting fire at Mew, I'd crush her. My attack would be valuable to me in the War of the Legends than my Power.
There are three things wrong with this argument.

The first is that you're out of nowhere assuming that physical attacks in general don't use power. Every single official, capitalized move, except stuff like Splash and Struggle, uses power. Everyone can tackle (as per the example of the Mystery Dungeon standard attack), but not everyone can Tackle. For physical attacks, power is employed to exert more force on the opponent than physics would dictate for the given mass and momentum, hence why a tiny Nidoran Double Kicking a Snorlax can potentially do crazy damage if the Nidoran just happens to be high-leveled enough compared to the Snorlax.

The second problem is that during the War, the legendaries are ridiculously powerful. Non-power-enhanced attacks are going to be laughable in comparison to even the most careless throw of actual power you can manage. Of course you're going to blast fire at Mew, or at least use your power for a Body Slam, instead of just pointlessly holding it all back.

Thirdly, and most glaringly, you're also making the unwarranted assumption that defense has nothing to do with power, when in fact it has everything to do with it. Pokémon have supernatural endurance, pain tolerance and recovery abilities, and that's all thanks to power. This means that by the time the War of the Legends comes along and the legendaries are all ridiculously powerful as noted before, Mew wouldn't even feel Groudon stepping on it. Groudon would need to use power to stand a chance.

COMMENTARY DONE

Scytherian Poetry

Post #6
Okay, I'm getting it now. Basically anything that consumes PP consumes Power.

"Life is too important to be taken seriously"

Pages: 1

Forum Index - Back to The Quest Blog