Happy Birthday, Quest for the Legends

Forum Index - Back to The Quest Blog

Pages: 1 2 3

Butterfree

Post #1
On June 19th, 2002, my parents got married after having been engaged for, oh, fifteen years or so. They took us the kids with them on their honeymoon (which consisted of a trip to the bakery). Later that day, it seems my twelve-year-old self was inspired to start writing a new Pokémon story after the one about Molzapart and Rainteicune stopped being as interesting and I had found the first other Pokémon fanfiction I had seen on the Internet. So I made a Word document called "pokémonsaga.doc" (pokémonstory.doc) and wrote into it the sentence, "Mark lived in a very small village." And my life would never be the same again.

Now, seven years and oodles of revisions later, I have just started chapter forty-nine of this same story that the Internet miraculously has not yet become tired of. In the meanwhile, I have actually figured out what the plot is about (a comparitively recent development), written two longer spin-off stories and a one-shot, rewritten the same chapters about two hundred times, created a complex system of acronyms to describe all these versions, and spent my clearly far too abundant free time making various versions of minipages for it on my website and in the more recent past blabbing on about it in a blog.

On to more important business, because I do this for my website and my fic deserves to be subjected to the same horror just this once:

Happy birthday to you,
Mark, May, Chaletwo,
and all the other characters,
and the storyline too!

No, don't even ask how this is supposed to make any sense. Shush, you! Bad poetry isn't meant to make any sense!

In other news, my dad was messing with some settings on the server (this messing around will eventually lead to my being able to update my site easily from anywhere that has Internet access, so it will be worth it in the end!), and I just realized now that this prevents me from actually updating the live copy of the site (including things like this minipage). I can still post this entry, since I do that through the forum interface, but I can't upload any actual pages, so I won't be able to actually make the birthday updates I meant to make on the minipage.

(And I just might have spent today watching Gurren Lagann and the first Pokémon movie and reading and fangirling with elyvorg instead of working on the birthday preparations, and I just might be going to a summerhouse tomorrow (which is technically today, hence my posting the birthday entry now, but it's half past two AM and I have not yet gone to bed) where I won't be able to continue to work on them either, but that is totally not the reason the things I promised won't actually be going up on the birthday itself but a few days later. It's really all because of that server-messing-around and all my dad's fault. Totally.)

Anyway, I hope this attempt at an apology in the form of a long rambly snarky Quest Blog entry makes up for it, and note that I will make all that stuff over the next days and put it up.

Happy birthday, dear fic. I will eternally love you to subatomic bits despite all your cute little flaws, occasional lack of making any sense, overcomplicated plot, characters with far too many issues, legendaries, poor descriptions, two extra legs on Ariados and worst title ever. Just like Chaletwo loves the hell out of those iddle widdle dragons he created no matter how much of a danger they might pose to the continued existence of the world (pssh, who cares about the world anyway?)! May you live long and prosper, but not so long that I won't finish you sometime within this century, at which point I will dig your rotting corpse out of the grave and rewrite you all over again.

:3

(Yes, I seem to be high on something. It must be that blasted air I keep inhaling.)

COMMENTARY DONE

Pure Umbreon

Post #2
Happy Birthday TQftL! :D (though, for me, it is still technically about an hour away).

Click if you have the time.

Kinkajou Karata

(guest)

Post #3
Yay! B-day! I've only known of this fic for just two days, and yet I'm already hooked. This story inspired me to start writing my own Pokemon fanfic, which I know will probably never compare, but hell. Let it try. Are you still going to post chapters on IALCOTN? I seem to like that version best because it's so descriptive. :3

Butterfree

Post #4
The IALCOTN is on a bit of a hiatus, since the ILCOE is so far in now that I want to press on and finish that far more than I want to rewrite all the chapters yet again for the IALCOTN. If I get writer's block on the ILCOE, I might start feeling like writing more of the IALCOTN again, but until then, I'm afraid it's probably going to be stuck at six chapters. Of course, once I finish the ILCOE, I'll press through with the IALCOTN, write some more chapters from scratch up until a point where I don't think the ILCOE chapters need to be edited as seriously, and then combine the two versions and start just modifying the ILCOE.

(And yes, you definitely should like the IALCOTN best since it's, well, better. It's just not as far in.)

Welcome, by the way. It's always nice to see new readers. :3

COMMENTARY DONE

Lugia

Post #5
Every time I comment on a blog post, I sound like a noob -.- but anyway, happy bday fic, best one the internet ever made. *Toasts*

elyvorg

Post #6
And now we call in Sparky to make the fic a birthday cake. Yes? 8D

Sad is happy for deep people.

piplup165

Post #7
Happy Birthday TQftL! I've only been here since late May, but I've already read the ILCOE and I am planning to read Scyther's Story soon. I can't wait for the new styles and such.

Look behind you!

Butterfree

Post #8
And now we call in Sparky to make the fic a birthday cake. Yes? 8D
Yes. Yes, we do.

:3

COMMENTARY DONE

Chaos16

(guest)

Post #9
Happy birthday to the fic, and many more! I've probably been following the fic since late 2007, and I've been hooked ever since. Butterfree, keep up the fantastic work… because I don't think I've ever been this obsessed about something on the Internet, and I can hardly afford to divide my attention on anything else. :D

Giratar

(guest)

Post #10
Well, since last month I've been reading this, and I'm so glad that a new chapter is out. I just read it over and over.

Happy Birthday, The Quest for the Legends! :3

Shadow

(guest)

Post #11
Can the cake be chocolate? I like chocolate cake.

Happy birthday, TQftL! :D

Sands Buisle

Post #12
Happy birthday to you,
You live in a pokezoo,
You look like a Stunky,
And, you smell like one too!

Madagascar's birthday song! Pokemon Style!

Please check out my Fan Fics (They're in this forum).

I'm not always rational, but I think people think I am.

… errazib nialp tsuj era serutangis emos ,wonk ouy.

Buisle is the ruler of the seven seas of sand, it is the terror of all Floatzel!

Man, I wrote Fics of three different Pokemon story types! What's next?! A wild Pokemon fic?! Hmmmmm…

twiggylover

Post #13
Yaaaaaaaay!
Im a new fan, but I have been reading till chapter 26. HAPPY birthday!
grrr we've got an open desscusiun sandstorm..

Torterra will save us!

…We're doomed if turtwig wont take the job….

Fox McCloud

(guest)

Post #14
Aaaaand the main page of the thing still says 6 years… Lol. Can't wait for your dad to finish that, then you won't have any "excuse" to not post on trips. Lulz.

Shiny Froslass

(guest)

Post #15
Happy Birthday, Fic! Wow… I've been reading it for a year in 3 days! ^_^ And, It's inspired to write my own fanfic that has only 2 chapters. Anyway, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!

twiggylover

Post #16
I readed it in 3 days, but anyway its great. although quite sad..

Torterra will save us!

opaltiger

Post #17
I'll fetch the vodka.

twiggylover

Post #18
I'll bring the gin.

Torterra will save us!

ShadowDusk

Post #19
? i don't git it.

Shadow "the GhostGirl"

Bob

(guest)

Post #20
And my anti-spam Pokemon is the wonderfully six-legged Ariados. Oh irony.

Pages: 1 2 3

Forum Index - Back to The Quest Blog