Ask the Author

Forum Index - Back to The Quest for the Legends

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... Last page

Butterfree

Post #1
Since the Ask the Characters thread was getting filled with questions for out-of-character me on the previous incarnation of the Quest for the Legends forum, this is here so you can ask me whatever you like. It does not necessarily have to be related to The Quest for the Legends.

COMMENTARY DONE

Zora of Termina

Post #2
Two questions:

What exactly made everything get wiped?

Do you enjoy writing?

Thorneh

Post #3
I have a question or two:

What is your motivation?

How do you get all that mad typing done? @_@ *stares at long-ness of all the chapters*

Butterfree

Post #4
What exactly made everything get wiped?
It's unclear. First there was the whole "Too many connections" thing, and then when I messed with the configuration settings I couldn't get the server to start again. I'm not sure at exactly which point the data itself got deleted, which makes it hard to determine the cause.

Do you enjoy writing?
Of course I do. o.O Would I do so much of it if I didn't?

What is your motivation?
Depends. For this fic in particular, it's how much I want to write the end that really keeps me going.

How do you get all that mad typing done? @_@ *stares at long-ness of all the chapters*
With lots of writing sprees and one hell of a lot of free time over six years.

COMMENTARY DONE

Tropiking

Post #5
What if a movie producer came up to you and said that he wanted to make The Quest for the Legends into a movie? Would you agree to do it?

I know you have a extremely similar question in the What if… section, but in all seriousness. Would you?

Mew's Last Chance: The Golden Stone is back. Expect more chapters soon!

Chapter Two Statis: Just getting started

Nostalgia

Post #6
Do you type on a labtop- or a Desktop- Computer?

Hypthetically, if you weren't the author of TQFL, would you be a fan of it?

"What if a movie producer came up to you and said that he wanted to make The Quest for the Legends into a movie? Would you agree to do it?"
Most people don't make movies out of unfinished stories.

Tropiking

Post #7
I meant when it was finished.

Mew's Last Chance: The Golden Stone is back. Expect more chapters soon!

Chapter Two Statis: Just getting started

Butterfree

Post #8
What if a movie producer came up to you and said that he wanted to make The Quest for the Legends into a movie? Would you agree to do it?
Possibly, provided I had a lot of control over the content and particularly the script.

Do you type on a labtop- or a Desktop- Computer?
Desktop. Never had a laptop.

Hypthetically, if you weren't the author of TQFL, would you be a fan of it?
Depends. I'd be a fan of The Fall of a Leader and Scyther's Story, definitely, since they're practically made of all my instalove-factors, and I'd love the ending, but I don't know if I'd ever bother to read past the beginning. :P

COMMENTARY DONE

opaltiger

Post #9
With lots of writing sprees and one hell of a lot of free time over six years.

Also, mad typing skills.

ETA: Especially with one hand.

Draconid

Post #10
Who was the ten-year-old that stole your fic and mauled it?^1 (Yeah, I read the endless ATCH thing. I was bored.)

^1: Ah wont tew flime ee-uht. (Don't ask.)

Fallen Over and Out~

SlowCrow

Post #11
^ Well, Regress (I don't care what your name is, that's what I'm calling you -_-), there is no place to put sprites up for display here. This is the TQftL boards, not some social board. You can use the main site's board, there are boards for that there. We have two categories here: other Pokemon fics and TQftL fic, that's it, maybe some fan art on the side, but it's just those two things that go here.

Plus, why would you post it here of all places? O_o I mean seriously, the traffic here stinks (the database crashed slowed it down even more), people here won't exactly give the most helpful advice here (unless its Butterfree, but she's ALWAYS critical >_>), and your sprites would just rot here.

As I said, move it to the main boards, it gets better traffic, more people who know about sprites, and is more suitable there.

P.S (To Butterfree): @_@ What was the command to link things to different sections of this board with text? (I mean the process to make THIS a link.)

P.P.S (Again, to Butterfree): ^_^ How's your summer going?

-___________- Kaw.

Days without a new chapter: 1 and counting.

Draconid

Post #12
Wow. I can't believe I forgot about that; I was just looking for someone to critique my sprites, I forgot that this was mostly a fanfiction page. So…*edits post* Sorry for causing you to rant. And for this pointless thing.

Bah.

But thanks for the nickname. 0.~

To add a point to this post: Draognfree, what do you think of the overall quality of Pokemon fanfiction recently? This also refers to the ones on FFN. (Would be nice to hear an opinion on that from a literate author…)

Fallen/Regress O&O~

Butterfree

Post #13
Who was the ten-year-old that stole your fic and mauled it?^1 (Yeah, I read the endless ATCH thing. I was bored.)
Somebody named Kristin. All I know about her. It was at some website with a lot of younger children in it writing Pokémon stories and "Our Great Pokémon Journey" had gathered quite a following before she randomly declared that she'd "lost her notes" for it and wouldn't be continuing once she'd posted the equivalent of chapter 25. Well, except she stole the UMR, so it was chapter 27 then.

P.S (To Butterfree): @_@ What was the command to link things to different sections of this board with text? (I mean the process to make THIS a link.)
Text here[/url*]. Remove the star.

P.P.S (Again, to Butterfree): ^_^ How's your summer going?
Reasonably fine so far.

To add a point to this post: Draognfree, what do you think of the overall quality of Pokemon fanfiction recently? This also refers to the ones on FFN. (Would be nice to hear an opinion on that from a literate author…)
I don't really go on FanFiction.Net except to post my own stuff, and in fact I don't read a lot of fanfiction in general. :/ I'm following maybe two or three fics and reading the occasional one-shot; I'm not the person to give any sort of general evaluation on Pokémon fanfiction today.

COMMENTARY DONE

Draconid

Post #14
Dragonfree: What would you say if I told you that I tested Mark, May, Alan, Scyther, and Spirit on a Mary-Sue Litmus test and they all got over seventy points?^1

If you can't come up with another title for TQftL, why do you continually make it out to be so horrible?^2

Fallen O&O~

^1: The lower your score, the less of a Sue the character is, and the top score is 100 points or something close to it.

^2: I don't think that there's anything else that would fit, honestly.

Butterfree

Post #15
Dragonfree: What would you say if I told you that I tested Mark, May, Alan, Scyther, and Spirit on a Mary-Sue Litmus test and they all got over seventy points?^1
I'd be very curious about which test. :P Mark in particular has tended to score very low on those tests I've tried him with other than one that made you tick a box for every legendary Pokémon the character comes in contact with, and I've never actually found a Mary-Sue test that could adequately measure a Pokémon character (i.e. where half of the questions didn't become irrelevant or misleading when the character was non-humanoid).

If you can't come up with another title for TQftL, why do you continually make it out to be so horrible?^2
Because it is.

COMMENTARY DONE

Draconid

Post #16
It's here. And they didn't score so low, I just wanted to see how you would react.

How many times have people tried to steal your work? (TQftL, sprites, graphics, original concepts, fakemon, etc.)

Butterfree

Post #17
How many times have people tried to steal your work? (TQftL, sprites, graphics, original concepts, fakemon, etc.)
Way, way too many times to count. Well, The Quest for the Legends has only been stolen twice to my knowledge (once unaltered and once in that mangled version); sprites, fakes, etc. I have long given up on even attempting to keep track of.

The case with Mary-Sue litmus tests is that they are all very different, count different things, and in general aren't the most accurate way to measure a character because ultimately what makes a Sue is primarily the author's state of mind. They are fun, though.

COMMENTARY DONE

Draconid

Post #18
Yeah, it takes the human brain to really decide what makes a Sue, although the quizzes can be a decent indication.

Maybe the reason your stuff has gotten stolen so many times is because you have so much to steal.

Do you ever intend to put that writing guide where it's accesible on the menu bars?

Butterfree

Post #19
Do you ever intend to put that writing guide where it's accesible on the menu bars?
Maybe when it's, you know, actually finished. :o As in when it's not a mismatch of the revised guide and the old one that shamelessly repeats and contradicts itself thanks to this. Seriously, I don't get how people can look at that guide and be puzzled that it's not on the menu. It's extremely WIP at the moment.

COMMENTARY DONE

Draconid

Post #20
Eh, I guess that not all of them are perfectionists. Heh.

I don't have any question at the moment. Will edit when I do.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... Last page

Forum Index - Back to The Quest for the Legends