Chapter 55 up

Forum Index - Back to The Quest Blog

Pages: 1

Butterfree

Post #1
Here we go.

Chapter 55: Unprepared

Thanks go to elyvorg for a very helpful beta-read.

COMMENTARY DONE

Kevin

(guest)

Post #2
Thank you!

Kevin

(guest)

Post #3
I found an error. The italics tag.
Is Suicune going to do anything meaningful with the rest of his life that he hasn’t already done in the past thousand years?

Kevin

(guest)

Post #4
…Ironic. I tell you about an error in tags, and in doing so, I do the same thing.

darthjarjar

Post #5
wow :O that was an intense chapter :o just… wow :O

Ummmm… So… Yea… Theres a Darthjarjar here now… Soon… All the internet forums will be filled with Darthjarjars…

Chaos16

Post #6
Well that certainly through a wrench in their plan. Two questions though:
1. Approximately what level(s) are all of the trainers' Pokémon at this time in the fic?
2. Will there be a wordbuilding article about the Waterberg principle to supplement the dialogue about it in the chapter? (Personally, I think I get the general idea of it, but I'd be more than happy to learn more about it)
Anyway, great chapter as always

Interests:
Scott Pilgrim, No More Heroes, Portal, The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, Christopher Nolan movies, being hilarious
"When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade; make life take the lemons back!" -Cave Johnson, CEO, Aperture Science

Butterfree

Post #7
1. Approximately what level(s) are all of the trainers' Pokémon at this time in the fic?
Around 60-70, with May's somewhat higher than Mark's.

2. Will there be a wordbuilding article about the Waterberg principle to supplement the dialogue about it in the chapter? (Personally, I think I get the general idea of it, but I'd be more than happy to learn more about it)
Yeah. It will have graphs.

COMMENTARY DONE

Shadow Serenity

Post #8
Copy/pasted from my comment on the chapter, just so no one else has to point it out:

One thing I noticed, though, is that when Mark was looking for his pokemon, he is carrying 7: Charizard, Jolteon, Letaligon, Sandslash, Dragonite, Scyther, and Gyarados.

At first I thought that perhaps this was intentional, that you decided to disregard the six-pokemon limit due to the nature of the plot/chapter. But then there was the scene where May actively switched out Mutark, and then actually made a comment about carrying 6 pokemon. Therefore, I assume Mark wasn't meant to have all seven on him at the time.

elyvorg

Post #9
Whoo! This is probably the only time one of my occasional beta-reads has been significantly useful. xP But yeah, it does seem to flow together a lot better now. :3

Sad is happy for deep people.

Butterfree

Post #10
One thing I noticed, though, is that when Mark was looking for his pokemon, he is carrying 7: Charizard, Jolteon, Letaligon, Sandslash, Dragonite, Scyther, and Gyarados.
Mm, not exactly. You're presumably talking about when he stands up to go look for the dragons in the evening, but at that point he explicitly does not have Gyarados out; though he sends Gyarados out a little later, he's never after that point mentioned to still have everyone else out (or I don't think so, anyway), so there's an implicit switch there. Maybe it should be explicit, but there are never explicitly seven Pokémon out at once, either.

COMMENTARY DONE

Shadow Serenity

Post #11
He stood up and shook Charizard’s shoulder gently to wake him while looking around for the others. Jolteon and Letaligon were having a practice battle a short distance away; Sandslash and Dragonite were talking elsewhere. Scyther sat near the cliffside, staring out at the dark sea. He wished he could have let Gyarados out, but Chaletwo had been too worried he would do something drastic to destroy the soul gems if he was left unattended.

“Everyone,” he called, taking out the Water Pokémon’s ball, “get ready.”

I guess this is the part that confused me… the first six are out of their pokeballs already, but it implies that Mark is still carrying Gyarados with him at the time as well. It doesn't say he switched someone to the PC, just that he took out the ball.

opaltiger

Post #12
Yeah. It will have graphs.

I cannot wait.

elyvorg

Post #13
Thought: you should totally add to Alan's character ramble with something about this. It's pretty much the most psychologically interesting thing he's done so far in the fic, and I'd love to read more about what exactly is going on in his head right now. :3

Sad is happy for deep people.

Pure Umbreon

Post #14
Loved this chapter. I really was happy with the way you fleshed out Alan's personality! Continually berating May like it will change anything, and leaving instead of trying to comprehend and understand.

Click if you have the time.

Butterfree

Post #15
Thought: you should totally add to Alan's character ramble with something about this. It's pretty much the most psychologically interesting thing he's done so far in the fic, and I'd love to read more about what exactly is going on in his head right now. :3
Oh, I am going to. I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

COMMENTARY DONE

Pages: 1

Forum Index - Back to The Quest Blog