Ask the Author

Forum Index - Back to The Quest for the Legends

Pages: First page ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... Last page

Nero

Post #661
Have you ever considered making a page for The Quest for the Legends on Tv Tropes?

Freakyalex

Post #662
A while back (and I mean, a long while back) you mentioned a fanfic called Tangled Web, by Chicrocketjames. Do you know where I could read it? I found the first three chapters somewhere, but nothing more.

Hell yeah, Murkrow.

Brock

Post #663
Hey Butterfree, I took a Mary Sue Limitus Pokemon test on Mark and I got:

61+ Points : Irredeemable Sue. Did you base your character off Ash or what?

What do you think of this? I doubt you did base him completely off of Ash.

Because I did this just for fun. I'm running lots of Fan Fic characters through these tests so…

Sorry if this offends you anyway.

Yes I am the same Brock from TCoD forums.

Butterfree

Post #664
Have you ever considered making a page for The Quest for the Legends on Tv Tropes?
I'd never make a page for my own work; it feels wrong and egocentric to me. If somebody else wants to, though, be my guest (somebody made one for Morphic the other day).

A while back (and I mean, a long while back) you mentioned a fanfic called Tangled Web, by Chicrocketjames. Do you know where I could read it? I found the first three chapters somewhere, but nothing more.
I'm pretty sure the only place all the chapters he wrote are still available is here. Still got abandoned a tragically short way in, but it's quite a bit more than what you found.

Hey Butterfree, I took a Mary Sue Limitus Pokemon test on Mark and I got:

61+ Points : Irredeemable Sue. Did you base your character off Ash or what?

What do you think of this? I doubt you did base him completely off of Ash.
That wouldn't happen to be the one that makes you tick a box for every legendary the character comes into contact with, would it? Because I've run him through plenty of Mary-Sue litmus tests, and that's the only one where he didn't get graded as something between a normal, healthy character and an outright anti-Sue. And that is not a coincidence.

Mary-Sue litmus tests are inherently flawed because they can't test what actually matters, namely the mindset of the author. They can be nice clues that something could be going on behind the scenes, but for this fic, that particular question simply isn't indicative of anything at all. Sure, sometimes I guess seeing a bunch of legendaries is done to make the character more special, but the whole point of the plot here is seeking out many, many legendaries and, yes, catching them. It simply has nothing to do with the characters who are doing it, and exponentially less so with each subsequent legendary box the test forces you to check after the first one, because how in the world can the precise number of legendaries that haven't already been caught by the other kids magically affect Mark as a character?

But really, to be honest, I don't need a litmus test to tell me that no, Mark is not a Stu, because as I said, Sueism is about the mindset of the author, and the fact is I simply do not have the mindset that would make him one. Compared to the characters I find interesting in this story, I really don't give a damn about him, I don't expect you to give a damn, he's emphatically ordinary and not special in any way whatsoever except that he happened to be there when Chaletwo was looking for recruits, and as far as I'm concerned his most fun moments are usually when he's being pathetically passive and failing to do the right/noble thing. The only things vaguely Stuish about him are his Pokémon team, which is a silly artifact from the past, and the fact he's out catching legendaries to save the world, where it's made abundantly clear that he's nowhere near the most useful person involved and the basis on which he was picked was terribly flimsy and had little to do with his ability at anything. I delight in Mark's sheer unremarkableness and lack of outstanding or heroic qualities. If any character in this fic is a Sue or Stu, it's most definitely not him.

I'm not offended and all valid points to be made about the characterization in this fic are gratefully welcomed, but I think I have very good reasons to consider this test result simply inaccurate. If you would like to argue otherwise, do so by all means.

COMMENTARY DONE

darthjarjar

Post #665
When you write the chapters and make lines for the pokemon, do you actually imagine the pokemon speaking in english or do you imagine them speaking in pokemon-ese?

Ummmm… So… Yea… Theres a Darthjarjar here now… Soon… All the internet forums will be filled with Darthjarjars…

Butterfree

Post #666
English, always. I couldn't possibly take them seriously if I were imagining them going "Scyther, scy, scyther! Scy scyther, scy ther scyther" all the time.

COMMENTARY DONE

darthjarjar

Post #667
So then do you give certain pokemon accents when you imagine them talking?

Ummmm… So… Yea… Theres a Darthjarjar here now… Soon… All the internet forums will be filled with Darthjarjars…

Brock

Post #668
It was that test. It was the only relevant I could find.

And I know this hasn't been in the story yet, but it could make or break a lot of my thereoies.

Does the destroyer know they are the destroyer? I mean like, do they actually do the draining on purpose, or is it uncontrollable? Could they physically stop draining everyone's powers, or does the role destroy their minds so they can't help it?

Yes I am the same Brock from TCoD forums.

Butterfree

Post #669
So then do you give certain pokemon accents when you imagine them talking?
No. I don't think in accents.

Does the destroyer know they are the destroyer? I mean like, do they actually do the draining on purpose, or is it uncontrollable? Could they physically stop draining everyone's powers, or does the role destroy their minds so they can't help it?
I'm afraid I can't tell you that. You'll just have to find out.

COMMENTARY DONE

Scytherian Poetry

Post #670
Could the Destroyer drain power from inside a pokeball?

And who is Ash's wife?

"Life is too important to be taken seriously"

Butterfree

Post #671
Could the Destroyer drain power from inside a pokeball?
Only if it had a physical anchor to the outside world that the power could be channeled through.

And who is Ash's wife?
You people just won't give this up, will you?

COMMENTARY DONE

Freakyalex

Post #672
I'm sure I remember seeing a Mutark sprite around here somewhere. Do you know where it is? Just wondering.

Edit: Sorry, sorry, I realised right after I asked that it would be under your 'fake sprites' section on TCOD.

Hell yeah, Murkrow.

Rose

Post #673
Erm… I'm trying to avoid just plain-out asking who Alan's mother is, but… isn't it possible she's not one of Ash's traveling companions from the anime? Or even someone who appears in it?

So, yeah.

Doctor Horrible Count: 30 viewings

Joseph

Post #674
Typo on May's Pokémon Bio page.
Pikachu's mother the wild Pikachu
Should be a 'was' in there, methinks.

LOOK! Some people have a Signature here!

Butterfree

Post #675
Erm… I'm trying to avoid just plain-out asking who Alan's mother is, but… isn't it possible she's not one of Ash's traveling companions from the anime? Or even someone who appears in it?
Anything is possible.

Fixed the typo.

COMMENTARY DONE

pikachu9512

Post #676
I found a typo also, on the Ten Agreements page, #8.

"Any Pokémon in a trainer's possession has a right to training and excercise."

'Exercise' is misspelled.

b_l_minu

Post #677
How often do you venture into the Your Own Fanfiction forum?

Butterfree

Post #678
How often do you venture into the Your Own Fanfiction forum?
Not really ever. If somebody post something rule-breaking, I just trust somebody else will notice and alert me here. Maybe I shouldn't, but I'm lazy like that.

COMMENTARY DONE

sreservoir

Post #679
ever considered taking the old stuff and adding the includes and stuff? it would be nice to be able to read them on this background, in this font.

Butterfree

Post #680
This minipage isn't actually coded with includes, and with the large number of pages that would have to be converted and added to the system it has going on, it would be a bit inconvenient. Plus, it would seem to give them a more 'official'-looking status, which I don't really want.

COMMENTARY DONE

Pages: First page ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... Last page

Forum Index - Back to The Quest for the Legends